Abbazia di Rosazzo (Corno di Rosazzo)
According to tradition, the Abbey of Rosazzo was built upon an earlier hermitage dating from the beginning of the 9th century. Founded by Patriarch Sighard between 1068 and 1077, it quickly gained importance, being granted numerous properties and privileges. It was also reinforced in its defences, so much so that in 1361, when Friuli was attacked by Rudolph and Frederick, Dukes of Austria, it was one of the safest places in the Patriarchate. Seriously damaged in 1509 by the troops of the Duke of Brunswick and subsequently fallen to ruin, it was completely restored by Vincislao Bojani, an architect from Cividale, on the orders of Abbot Giovanni Matteo Giberti. It was renovated again in 1823 on the orders of the Archbishop, Emanuele Lodi, who lowered towers and terraces. The Abbey contains several outstanding buildings, such as the 16th-century cloister and the church of San Pietro, with frescoes by Francesco Torbido, a disciple of Giorgione.