Castello di Sant'Anna (Spessa di Cividale d.F.)
The fortified complex, originally square-shaped, lies on a hilltop to the north of Spessa village, surrounded by beautiful rolling hills covered with meadows, woods and vineyards. Its façade is flanked by two round towers, standing at a height of around 10 metres and probably restored in the 17th century; their lower part, however, is much earlier, dating from the 13th or 14th century.
The building behind the right tower has numerous arrow slits on the ground and first floor, indicating that it was probably the guardhouse. Behind the wall, which has partly survived and is standing several metres high, protected on its eastern side by terraces sometimes four-metre wide, there was the 13th-century Sant’Andrea chapel, demolished in 1943. The castle precinct includes a number of ancient buildings along with houses dating from the 18th and 19th century and more recent constructions.