Castello di Gemona
Built on the high ground of the town as a lookout post, the castle overlooks the valley and can be reached by walking up the 150 steps from the Salita dei Longobardi: effort repaid by an incomparable view.
It is likely to have existed as a fortified place since Roman times, later becoming a barricaded complex defended by three crenellated towers and a mighty wall.
It suffered damage in the 1511 earthquake but was still in good condition in 1571.
In 1976, before the earthquake destroyed what was left, the central tower (the clock tower, with the 'Community Bell' dating back to 1784), the west tower known as the 'torate' and a third tower that had been renovated and restored in the early 1800s and was used as a prison building until 1967, remained visible.
Since December 2008, the public gardens have been reopened, while renovation work is nearing completion, which has already seen the reconstruction of the 'clock tower' and the former prison building, from 2019 a museum and exhibition venue.