Consortium for the protection of the historical castles of Friuli Venezia Giulia
Motore di ricerca
×

Pordenone

  • Abbazia di Sesto al Reghena

    The Abbey of Santa Maria in Sylvis, probably erected over a Roman statio , is probably the best known example of fortified monastery in Friuli. Founded in 730-735, it was first mentioned in Lombard...

  • Castello di Solimbergo (Sequals)

    In 1196 Romolo, Bishop of Concordia, gave to Almerico, Count of Castelnuovo, permission to complete the castle of Sonemberg (Solimbergo), granting him the feudal holding of part of the estate. During...

  • Castel d'Aviano

    On September 11, 1161, Emperor Frederick grants the Aviano castle to the Bishop of Belluno. The fortress therefore must have been erected before that date, perhaps being constructed on a site already...

  • Castelcosa (Cosa di Spilimbergo)

    In von Jaksch’s “ Monumenta historica ducatus Karinthiae ”, Wolftrigel, Lord of Cosa, is mentioned as being part of the court of Patriarch Pellegrino of Pao. He probably belonged to...

  • Castello di Caneva

    Once a Patriarchal regency, the castle was probably erected near a Roman watch-tower and, given its strategically-important position, for centuries was granted as a feudal holding to various members of...

  • Castello di Cordovado

    Mentioned in the 12th century, the fortified complex was a possession of the Bishop of Concordia, who was bestowed with the title of Marquis of Cordovado. The government was entrusted to an administrator...

  • Castello di Maniago

    On 12 January 981 Emperor Otto II granted ownership of the castle of Maniago (“ cortem que vocatur Maniacus ”) to Rodoald, Patriarch of Aquileia. The castle was probably very large and included...

  • Castello di Meduno

    The castle was erected in 1136 upon the wishes of the Bishop of Concordia. It was then assigned to the Counts of Meduno, who in 1318 fought a violent war to gain primacy over the rival Maniago family....

  • Castello di Mizza (Cavasso Nuovo)

    All that has survived of the ancient Mizza Castle, perched on top of a rock on Jouf mountain, near the village of Fanna, are the remains of two towers, a curtain wall and a cistern. The origins of the...

  • Castello di Montereale Valcellina

    Castrum Montis Regalis , overlooking the Cellina Valley, was first mentioned in 1213 when Patriarch Wolfger von Leibrechtskirchen granted it to brothers Varnero, Albertino e Odorico di Montereale as...

  • Castello di Pinzano

    The oldest known document referring to the Counts of Pinzano dates back to the 12th century. Vassals of the Duke of Carinthia, closely related to the Counts of Ragogna, the Pinzanos held the castle up...

  • Castello di Polcenigo

    There is evidence that the hill where the castle is now standing was first occupied by a Prehistoric settlement, later used by Romans and Lombards. For a very long time the castle remained a possession...

  • Castello di Porcia

    Count Girolamo di Porcia described his family manor in his Descrizione della Patria del Friuli dating from 1567: “ Porzia Castle and Estate on the west bank of the River Tagliamento, 26 miles...

  • Castello di Pordenone

    In 1202 the citizens of Pordenone were able to resist the attack of Pilgrim, Patriarch of Aquileia, so we can presume that the town was already fortified at the time. The castle was first mentioned in...

  • Castello di Sacile

    Built on an island on the River Livenza, Sacile Castle dates back to the end of the 10th century. In 1207 it hosted the Curia Vassallorum , the assembly of the Patriarch’s vassals summoned by Patriarch...

  • Castello di San Vito al Tagliamento

    The castle and tower of San Vito were first mentioned in a document from 12 August 1298, where they were described as already being in ruins - probably destroyed in retaliation by Patriarch Berthold von...

  • Castello di Spilimbergo

    The Counts Spilimbergos (Spengenberg), a noble family of Styrian descent, probably related to the Counts of Zuccola, arrived in Friuli during the 12th or 13th century. At the end of the 13th century,...

  • Castello di Toppo (Travesio)

    Standing on a rocky outcrop between the Rivers Meduna and Tagliamento, Toppo Castle was first mentioned in 1186 but probably dates back to a much earlier period, since some ancient ruins - maybe dating...

  • Castello di Torre di Pordenone

    Built at the end of the 13th century by the Counts of Prata, probably upon the ruins of a Roman settlement, it was long contended for by the Counts of Gorizia, the Dukes of Austria and the Patriarchs...

  • Castello di Valvasone

    As indicated by the base of its castle keep, Valvasone had been the site of a fortification already in Roman or Early-Medieval times, controlling over one of the most important crossing points over the...

  • Castello di Zoppola

    The castle was probably built at the beginning of the 11th century, guarding the road that from a ford of the River Tagliamento went to Portus Naonis (now Pordenone), then threatened by the Hungarians....

  • Palazzo Fortificato di Domanins

    This fortified palace probably dates back to the second half of the 14th century, the period in which Walterpertoldo di Spilimbergo divided his possessions among his three nephews, thus creating the lineages...

  • Palazzo Fortificato di Rivarotta (Pasiano di Pordenone)

    All that is left of the ancient Castle Rivarotta is a fortified house furnished with a round tower. We have to use our imagination to figure out how it must have looked in 888, when Emperor Berengarius...

  • Palazzo Panigai Ovio (Panigai di Pravisdomini)

    Some Portogruaro documents, dating from the 12th century, record the name of Artico de Panialis as the founder of the Panigai family. The family were mentioned again in 1326, when Nicolò, Leonardo,...

  • Torre di Sbrojavacca (Chions)

    What is left of the Medieval castle at Sbrojavacca is a single tower, while the rest of the building was demolished in 1820 when the castle was converted into a palatial residence by architect Francesco...