Consortium for the protection of the historical castles of Friuli Venezia Giulia
Motore di ricerca

Castello di Villafredda (Tarcento)

Located within a short distance of the road which in ancient times went from Udine to Tarcento and Gemona, the castle of Villafredda was probably built over an earlier fortress dating from the end of the 14th century. The bell tower near the church chapel is the only part of the castle to have maintained its original appearance. The western walls, the corner towers, the patrician residence and the entrance tower were all redeveloped in the 16th and 17th century. As a result, the castle has lost its austere Medieval appearance, looking more like a country house. First mentioned in 1319, in the 17th century it became a property of the Liruti family. Throughout its history, the castle was never ransacked or involved in important battles.