Consortium for the protection of the historical castles of Friuli Venezia Giulia
Motore di ricerca
×

Gorizia

  • Casa Fortificata di Russiz Superiore (Capriva del F.)

    Very little written information is available on this site, consisting in a few remains of a wall on a hilltop at Russiz di Sopra, where a farmhouse is now standing. According to historian Tito Miotti,...

  • Casa Fortificata di Ruttars (Dolegna del Collio)

    Very little information exists about the fortified village of Ruttars, which old documents often confuse with nearby Trussio Castle. We know for certain that on 4 May 1289, Patriarch Raimund von Thurn...

  • Castel Rubbia (Savogna d'Isonzo)

    Standing at the confluence of the Rivers Isonzo and Vipazzo, in the vicinity of Gorizia, Castle Rubbia was built in the 15th or 16th century upon earlier remains. Its present appearance dates it back...

  • Castello di Spessa di Capriva del Friuli

    The Castle of Spessa, near Capriva, was completely redeveloped at the beginning of the 20th century. A Triest architect, Ruggero Berlam, remodelled it in a Gothic-revival style, adding a crenellated tower...

  • Castello di Gorizia

    The village “ quae Sclavorum lingua vocatur Gorizia ” (which in Slavonic tongue is called Gorizia) was first mentioned in a document dated 28 April 1001, by which Emperor Otto III granted...

  • Castello di San Floriano (S. Floriano del Collio)

    Saint Florian is traditionally depicted in the act of putting out a fire and is popularly believed to offer protection against this particular hazard. The fact that the hill is named after him indicated...

  • Castello di Trussio (Dolegna del Collio)

    The castle was first mentioned in 1257 when, having been abandoned by its landlord Gisaldo di Fratta following the attacks of Mainardo of Gorizia, it was torched and rebuilt in the same year. In 1279...

  • Fortezza di Gradisca d'Isonzo

    Although a locality by the same name had been mentioned in a document dated 1150, the fortified town of Gradisca was built in the late 15th century to defend the Venetian Republic from incursions by the...

  • Fortezza di Grado

    An important site since Imperial Rome, Castrum Gradense lay at the mouth of the River Natissa, which connected it with the Port of Aquileia. Strategically located for the defense of Aquileia since the...

  • Palazzo Fortificato Lantieri (Gorizia)

    Palazzo Lantieri - formerly known as Schonhaus - was the guest-house of the Counts of Gorizia. Standing near the eastern city gate, it included a guardshouse and an entrance tower with a drawbridge. At...

  • Rocca di Monfalcone

    In 1567 historian Girolamo di Porcia described the castle and the village of Monfalcone: “ the village of Monfalcone, once called Verrucchia, built by Teodoricus King of the Goths, lies half-way...

  • Rocca di Monte Quarin (Cormons)

    “ Patriarcha sedit in Cormoro per annos 200 ”. This is how a document from the year 1159 describes the happiest period, historically speaking, of Cormons. This information, however, is inaccurate....

  • Torre campanaria di Brazzano (Cormons)

    Referred to for the first time in 1093 as a parish, this area was fortified for the purpose of controlling the area where the Judrio valley leads to the plains. The castle was mentioned in 1257 when it...

  • Torre di Castelnuovo (Sagrado)

    The Castronovo (now Castelnuovo) castle dates to 1150. First owned by a Bavarian vassal of the Church of Aquileia, it then passed to the Counts of Gorizia, eventually being granted to the Savorgnano...

  • Torre di Castelvecchio (Sagrado)

    According to historian Tito Miotti, the tower standing near the railway underpass at locality Fornaci in Sagrado did not belong to the ancient castle, now disappeared, but was part of a series of defensive...