Consortium for the protection of the historical castles of Friuli Venezia Giulia
Motore di ricerca
×

Udine

  • Abbazia di Moggio Udinese

    In 1084-1085 Cacellinus, Count of Carinthia, prince of the Holy Roman Empire, donated his estate to the Patriarch of Aquileia. In return he asked that a Benedictine abbey be erected on Moggio hill, in...

  • Abbazia di Rosazzo (Corno di Rosazzo)

    According to tradition, the Abbey of Rosazzo was built upon an earlier hermitage dating from the beginning of the 9th century. Founded by Patriarch Sighard between 1068 and 1077, it quickly gained importance,...

  • Borgo di Santa Margherita del Gruagno (Moruzzo)

    The seat of an important Lombard arimannia (fief), it was probably established to control the important Via Cividina which ran from Cividale, intersecting the road to Concordia near the village of Fagagna....

  • Casa Fortificata del Bergum (Povoletto)

    The site where the fortified Bergum house was erected is probably the same Bergogna settlement which is mentioned in a document from 1275. Situated in the extensive plains between Remanzacco and Campeglio,...

  • Casa Fortificata di Belvedere di Torre (Povoletto)

    In 1467 Girolamo of Partistagno decided to erect a country residence next to the Torre torrent, choosing a charming site by the eloquent name of Belvedere. The fortified house, regardless of recent restoration,...

  • Casa Fortificata di Sdricca (Manzano)

    The fortified house at Sdricca, near Manzano, is a very ancient building. According to local historian Walter Peruzzi, it was probably a Roman observation tower, as traces of a Roman settlement have also...

  • Casa Fortificata La Brunelde (Fagagna)

    The site, which was first mentioned in 1208 in an inventory of the Tricano (Arcano) family properties, had already been inhabited in Roman times. In fact, the domus magna tricanea (Counts Tricano’s...

  • Casa Fortificata Pavona di Leonacco (Tricesimo)

    A 15th century fortified manor, built between the villages of Leonacco and Luseriacco, it belonged to the Counts of Pavona, a noble family originally from Brescia. The family coat of arms, in 16th century...

  • Castelli di Forni di Sopra e di Sotto

    The two neighbouring villages of Forni di Sopra and Forni di Sotto share a common history. The locality, which has been inhabited since Roman times, was first mentioned in 778, when Massello, Duke of...

  • Castelliere di Lauco

    According to historian Tito Miotti, the village of Lauco was once the site a prehistoric fortified village known as “ castelliere ”. Castellieri were fairly common in ancient Friuli. This...

  • Castello di Albana (Prepotto)

    Constructed to defend the Judrio valley, the castle was mentioned for the first time in 1161 “ in villa qui dicitur Albana ”. In 1185 the castle and its surroundings became a feudal holding...

  • Castello di Arcano (Rive d'Arcano)

    The castle from upper Arcano, originally built near the church of San Mauro along the banks of the River Corno, was erected upon the ruins of a Roman villa. It was later rebuilt in its present location,...

  • Castello di Artegna

    Ever since the Roman Empire, a fortified settlement had been established on San Martino hill to control the Julia Augusta way. According to Lombard historian Paul the Deacon, in 610 it offered protection...

  • Castello di Attimis

    Mentioned for the first time in 1066 (“ castrum jacet (…) ad locum qui dicitur Attems ”), the upper castle first belonged to the Marquis of Moosburg, then to the Berthold, bishop of...

  • Castello di Brazzacco superiore (Moruzzo)

    The castle is situated in the northern part of Brazzacco, between Pagnacco and Moruzzo. It is one of the few fortified architectural elements found in Friuli which have not undergone modifications or...

  • Castello di Buja

    Probably the site of a Neolithic village, then a Castelliere settlement and later the site of Roman “Castrum Buga”, a settlement called “Boga” was mentioned for the first time...

  • Castello di Buttrio

    The castle was mentioned for the first time in 1219 when Giacomo, Count of Buttrio, became a citizen of Treviso by siding against Berthold, Patriarch of Aquileia; two centuries prior, however, the existence...

  • Castello di Caporiacco (Colloredo di Monte Albano)

    From documents dating to 1112, 1139 and 1166, we know that during the 12th century the Counts of Caporiacco had authority over different jurisdictions, and administered civil and criminal justice. From...

  • Castello di Cassacco

    From analyses conducted on its brickwork, it is almost certain that the castle dates back to the Early Middle Ages. The first data gathered regarding the castle dates back to 1202 when a visit by Count...

  • Castello di Cergneu (Nimis)

    In 1170 the castle, which may have been built on a former Roman defence site, was granted to the Patriarch of Aquileia by Volorico Marquis of Tuscany. The following century its jurisdiction passed to...

  • Castello di Colle Mazeit (Verzegnis)

    The presence of ruins across an area almost a kilometre wide indicates that this was one of the most important fortified centres in Carnia. The ruins are found around the top of Mazeit hill, at an altitude...

  • Castello di Colloredo di Monte Albano

    On December 4, 1302 the Patriarch of Aquileia Ottobono de’ Razzi conceded to Baron Wilhelm von Waldsee, Viscount of Mels, knight from an ancient Swabian lineage, the right to construct a new castle...

  • Castello di Cucagna (Faedis)

    In a document dating back to 1186, Warnero (or Guarnero), who in 1166 was called “di Faedis”, signed with the name “Cucagna”. Therefore it is probable that during those twenty...

  • Castello di Flagogna (Forgaria)

    An estate of the Marquis of Attems, Flagogna’s Castelvecchio probably dates back to Lombard times. Destroyed by a violent earthquake in 1348, its stones were used to restore Castelnuovo (also known...

  • Castello di Fontanabona (Pagnacco)

    The name refers to a water spring which, still to this day, rises to surface in the village square. The castle probably dates back to the 10th century, and in 1196 a document gives mention of its lord...

  • Castello di Fusea (Tolmezzo)

    We don’t know much about the history of this castle and the people who had lived there over the centuries. Only two sets of remains are visible today. The first set lies closer to the village and...

  • Castello di Gemona

    Inhabited since ancient times, Gemona was the seat of an arimannia (a Lombard fief) and as such was mentioned in a document dated 611. Mentioned again in 1001 by Emperor Otto III, from the 12th century...

  • Castello di Gronumbergo (Cividale)

    Standing at a strategic location, overlooking the River Natisone and guarding the main road to Cividale, the castle of Gronumbergo was built upon the remains of a Roman observation tower. A feudal holding...

  • Castello di Invillino (Villa Santina)

    Gisulf II, third Duke of Friuli under Lombard rule, ordered in 610 the reinforcement of a number of castles as a defense against the Avars. One of them was the fortress of Ibligo, which according to many...

  • Castello di Manzano

    The Castle of Manzano was completely destroyed in 1431, after its Lords sided with Patriarch Ludwig von Teck against the Republic of Venice - the Lords themselves were only spared their lives because...

  • Castello di Moruzzo

    Originally subjected to the jurisdiction of the gastaldo (Patriarch’s representative) of Fagagna, in the 13th century the estate was partially granted to Odarlico di Tricano, founder of the Arcano...

  • Castello di Partistagno (Attimis)

    The site was first mentioned at the end of the 11th century, yet the presence of Roman remains such as a protective rampart, a stone tower (later used as the apse of the castle chapel) and a water cistern...

  • Castello di Prampero (Magnano in Riviera)

    The castle was probably erected to control the road between the important market towns of Tarcento and Gemona. In the mid 13th century it was granted to a noble family of German descent, who added the...

  • Castello di Ragogna

    The castle controlled a ford of the River Tagliamento located near the Roman road that went from Concordia Sagittaria to Osoppo. Mentioned in the early 11th century by Venantius Fortunatus, the castle...

  • Castello di Raveo (Cuel Budin di Raveo)

    Lying on top of Cuel Budin (Budin hill), the ruins of Raveo Castle do not give us a clear indication of how this fortress must have looked in the past. Visitors climbing the north side of the hill will...

  • Castello di Ravistagno (Montenars)

    The Castle of Ravistagno was first mentioned in the mid 13th century, but its original German name (Ravenstein = ravens’ rock) suggests that it might date from the age of the Saxon kings (10th-11th...

  • Castello di Saciletto (Ruda)

    First mentioned in 1274 as “Castrum Zazilet” but probably dating from a much earlier period, Saciletto Castle guarded the ancient Roman road that went from Aquileia to Cividale. Its strategic...

  • Castello di Sant'Anna (Spessa di Cividale d.F.)

    The fortified complex, originally square-shaped, lies on a hilltop to the north of Spessa village, surrounded by beautiful rolling hills covered with meadows, woods and vineyards. Its façade is...

  • Castello di Savorgnano (Povoletto)

    Built in 921 by permission of Emperor Berengarius, it was the fief of the Counts of Savorgnano, a prominent feudal family who frequently entered into conflict with the Patriarchs of Aquileia. In 1265...

  • Castello di Soffumbergo (Faedis)

    The site was probably fortified in the Early Middle Ages and maybe also used by the Lombards; during the Saxon times it was certainly occupied by a chapel. In 1025 it was recorded as a Patriarchal fief....

  • Castello di Sterpo (Bertiolo)

    Originally granted to Detalmo and Asquino di Varmo, the castle was sold to Martino, Count della Torre (Martin von Thurn) in December 1335. In 1337 it was officially granted to Fedegrino della Torre by...

  • Castello di Strassoldo di sopra (Cervignano del Fr.)

    According to tradition, Strassoldo was built at the time of the Saxon kings as a defense against the Hungarians. More probably, it was a Lombard fortification built to contrast the dangerous byzantine...

  • Castello di Strassoldo di sotto (Cervignano del Fr.)

    The Lower Castle at Strassoldo is accessed by a characteristic 17th century postern gate, leading to a smaller circle of wall. Beyond the wall there are farm buildings and the little chapel of San Marco,...

  • Castello di Susans (Majano)

    Probably erected on the site of a Roman castrum, the castle of Susans was first mentioned in 1031 as “villa de Suzan”. Subjected to the jurisdiction of the Church of Aquileia, the castle was...

  • Castello di Tricesimo

    The Latin name of Tricesimo ( Tricesimum o Tricensimum , meaning thirtieth ) refers to the fact that it was originally a Roman settlement lying 30 miles to the north of Aquileia, controlling the road...

  • Castello di Udine

    “ Castrum Utini ” was first mentioned in 983, when it was donated by Emperor Otto II to Patriarch Rodoald. As early as the thirteenth century the castle was the ordinary residence of the patriarchs;...

  • Castello di Villafredda (Tarcento)

    Located within a short distance of the road which in ancient times went from Udine to Tarcento and Gemona, the castle of Villafredda was probably built over an earlier fortress dating from the end of...

  • Castello di Villalta (Fagagna)

    The castle, belonging to the noble family of the same name, was first documented in the 13th century and was often the site of bitter battles, owing both to its important strategic position and to the...

  • Castello di Zegliacco (Treppo Grande)

    First recorded in 1174 when mention was given of its lord Heidenrico di Zelaco, the castle was probably built upon the remains of an ancient fortification, guarding the Roman Via Augusta. By 1203 it was...

  • Castello di Zucco (Faedis)

    The castle was built by the Counts of Cucagna. Together with the Castle of Cucagna, it was part of a large fortified complex which included a small fortification at the foot of the mountain and a larger...

  • Castello di Zuccola (Cividale del Fr.)

    The castle of Zuccola stood on a hill just north of Cividale, on the site of an Early Medieval observation tower. It was razed to the ground in 1364 by order of Patriarch Ludwig von Thurn (Ludovico della...

  • Castello di Zuglio

    Inhabited since 500 BC, originally a Celtic settlement, it was later Romanised ( Julium Carnicum ). Due to its strategic location (it lay close to the Roman road connecting the Roman Empire with Austria...

  • Castelraimondo (Forgaria)

    What we see today of Castelraimondo is perhaps only one part of three fortresses which in ancient times were erected on a buttress which from one side dominated the Arzino torrent and from the other side...

  • Chiesa Fortificata di San Giovanni d'Antro (Pulfero)

    Inaccessibly located half-way up the side of a mountain, overlooking the River Natisone, the chapel of San Giovanni d’Antro is a rare example of fortified church. It was built at the end of the...

  • Città Fortificata di Aquileia

    Aquileia was founded in 181 B.C. upon the wishes of the Roman Senate, in order to protect the north-east border of the Roman empire threatened by the barbarians. It became the capital of the Venetia...

  • Città Fortificata di Cividale

    The city of Cividale (originally, Civitas Austriae ) is rich in history with origins from as far back as Prehistoric times. The site of the city, near the Natisone river, was a Celtic settlement, documented...

  • Città Fortificata di Palmanova

    The construction of the fortress of Palma was decided following the loss of the important stronghold of Gradisca, on 7 October 1593, on the 22nd anniversary of the battle of Lepanto. On that day, in nearby...

  • Città Fortificata di San Daniele del Friuli

    Built before 1267, the castle was located on top of San Daniele hill. It has now completely disappeared; all that remains is the ancient keep, now used as a bell tower. From a 16th-century description...

  • Città Fortificata di Venzone

    Possibly a Roman settlement, Venzone was first recorded in a 923 document mentioning the “clausas de Abincione,” thus indicating the presence of a toll station in the village. At the beginning...

  • Forte di Marano (Marano Lagunare)

    Girolamo di Porcia wrote in the 16th century that Marano was “ a dreadfully intricate place, with walls, terrepleins and very wide inlets filled up with water. It can be accessed by just one road...

  • Forte Hensel (Malborghetto)

    Standing on top of a craggy peak overlooking the River Fella, controlling the road to Tarvisio, it is now in a state of decay. «The only road in Valcanale, used by peaceful merchants and invading...

  • Forte La Chiusa (Chiusaforte)

    Nothing remains today of this ancient fortress. However, La Chiusa was once an important stronghold, built over a gorge of the River Fella, guarding the road to the North. It was first mentioned under...

  • Fortezza di Osoppo

    Girolamo di Porcia described the castle in 1567: “ Osoppo Castle and Fortress, standing on a hilltop overlooking the River Tagliamento, at the foot of the mountains but too far from them to...

  • Fortilizio di Portis (Venzone)

    The village of Portis, a mile to the north of Venzone, lies at the narrowest point of the Tagliamento valley, crammed between the riverbed and the foothills of Monte Plauris. Standing on both sides of...

  • Palazzo Fortificato di Ariis (Rivignano)

    In 1267, Gebardo of Wrusperg received the fortress as a feudal residence for himself and his brother Enrico from Patriarch Gregorio di Montelongo. In 1296 Patriarch Raimund von Thurn (Raimondo della Torre)...

  • Palazzo Fortificato Valesio Calice (Paularo)

    The Calices, a noble Tolmezzo family who were also barons of the Holy Roman Empire, settled in the Incaroio Valley in the second half of the 16th century, probably sent there by the Venetian administration...

  • Rocca Bernarda (Premariacco)

    The castle of Rocca Bernarda is standing on top of a hill at a locality once known as Azzano, probably from the Roman name Atius. Originally a Patriarchal fief, the estate was later donated to the city...

  • Santuario di Castelmonte (Prepotto)

    The site was probably inhabited since Roman times because of its dominating and secure position; it may have been a place of Early Christian cult from as far back as the 5th – 6th century. Mentioned...

  • Torre di Brazzacco inferiore (Moruzzo)

    The castle is located a few hundred metres in a straight line from the Upper Brazzacco castle, and up until the beginning of the 15th century it belonged to a branch of the same family. It was then passed...

  • Torre di Gramogliano (Corno di Rosazzo)

    Gramogliano was first documented in 1247 during a controversy with the nearby Abbey of Rosazzo. The Counts of Gramogliano were first mentioned a few decades later, and up until the mid 14th century they...

  • Torre di Mels (Colloredo di Monte Albano)

    Built between 1026 and 1045, the castle of Mels was assigned by the Count of Tyrol, on behalf of Emperor Konrad II, to the Counts of Waldsee, who subsequently acquired the additional title of Counts of...

  • Torre di Tarvisio

    According to Paolo Santonino (1485-87), Tarvisio parish church was defended by a curtain wall surrounded by a moat and furnished with towers and bastions; the bell tower was provided with very large walls...

  • Torre Moscarda (Paluzza)

    First mentioned in 1264, probably built upon Roman remains, castrum Muscardum controlled the road to the Plockenpass (in Italian, Passo di Monte Croce in the Carnic Alps). On account of its strategic...

  • Torre Picotta (Tolmezzo)

    The village of Tolmezzo was granted market status in 1258 by Patriarch Gregorio di Montelongo - an indication that it was already enjoying a certain degree of independence. The development of the village...

  • Villa Fortificata di Flambruzzo (Rivignano)

    Villa Codroipa (later re-named Villa Rota), now an estate of the Dukes Badoglio, stands on the site of a earlier castle, probably a Medieval fortress known as Castellutto . Its existence was first documented...