The Consortium for Defence of Castles was founded in December 1968, for the purpose of gathering together the owners, possessors and holders under any title of castles and other fortified works in the region, such as towers, fortified palaces, fortified houses, defensive walls or ruins in order to undertake joint action for their recovery, re-use and enhancement.
The Tower of Porta Aquileia was part of the city's fifth walled circuit, which began around the middle of the 14th century and was completed a little over a century later; with Porta Villalta, it is the only surviving one of the thirteen gates that connected the city with the most important road and trade routes. It housed the dwelling of the Keeper, who had the task of controlling the transit of people and goods and the obligation of witnessing the closing and opening of the gate.
By 1852, the tower was deemed unserviceable and abandoned. After the first restoration works in 1948 and 1960, a more complex intervention was planned in the 1990s to restore the building's full functionality and allow it to be used again, which culminated in the 1998 restoration.
Torre di Porta Aquileia,
Piazzetta del Pozzo 21
Banca Intesa San Paolo
filiale via Volturno, 18 - Udine
IT 74 M 03069 12307 074004259904
Orari di apertura
Da lunedì a venerdì
dalle 15.00 alle 19.00
martedì dalle 15.00 alle 19.00
Informazioni e prenotazioni:
Tel: 0432 288588
Cell: 328 6693865
Castello di Artegna »
Ever since the Roman Empire, a fortified settlement had been established on San Martino hill to control the Julia Augusta way. According to Lombard historian Paul the Deacon, in 610 it offered protection...
Castello di Strassoldo di sotto (Cervignano del Fr.) »
The Lower Castle at Strassoldo is accessed by a characteristic 17th century postern gate, leading to a smaller circle of wall. Beyond the wall there are farm buildings and the little chapel of San Marco,...
Città Fortificata di Palmanova »
The construction of the fortress of Palma was decided following the loss of the important stronghold of Gradisca, on 7 October 1593, on the 22nd anniversary of the battle of Lepanto. On that day, in nearby...
Castello di Colloredo di Monte Albano »
On December 4, 1302 the Patriarch of Aquileia Ottobono de’ Razzi conceded to Baron Wilhelm von Waldsee, Viscount of Mels, knight from an ancient Swabian lineage, the right to construct a new castle...
Castello di Cucagna (Faedis) »
In a document dating back to 1186, Warnero (or Guarnero), who in 1166 was called “di Faedis”, signed with the name “Cucagna”. Therefore it is probable that during those twenty...
Castello di Buttrio »
Buttrio Castle has been known since 1139 and it can be assumed that it was already built in the 11th century, given its strategic position. From the top of the Pampinutta hill it dominates the plains...
Castello di Gorizia »
The village “ quae Sclavorum lingua vocatur Gorizia ” (which in Slavonic tongue is called Gorizia) was first mentioned in a document dated 28 April 1001, by which Emperor Otto III granted...
Castello di Ragogna »
The hill on which stands the fortified complex of the upper castle with the ancient parish church of San Pietro has offered a natural, easily defensible shelter since ancient times. This hill, site...
Castello di Susans (Majano) »
Probably erected on the site of a Roman castrum, the castle of Susans was first mentioned in 1031 as “villa de Suzan”. Subjected to the jurisdiction of the Church of Aquileia, the castle was...
Castello di Albana (Prepotto) »
Constructed to defend the Judrio valley, the castle was mentioned for the first time in 1161 “ in villa qui dicitur Albana ”. In 1185 the castle and its surroundings became a feudal holding...
Castello di Cordovado »
The beautiful fortified village, whose origins date back to before the year 1000, and even to prehistoric times, is enclosed within a walled circuit of an almost quadrilateral shape, built on the ancient...
Castello di Spessa di Capriva del Friuli »
The current architectural structure of Spessa di Capriva Castle was designed by the Triestine architect Ruggero Berlam, who, at the beginning of the 20th century, worked on an older building, working...
Palazzo Fortificato Lantieri (Gorizia) »
From 1200 to 1300, when the lower town wall was built, a villa of the Counts of Gorizia called Schoenhaus, now Palazzo Lantieri, was incorporated around the tower with a drawbridge, built near the town...
Abbazia di Rosazzo (Corno di Rosazzo) »
According to tradition, the Abbey of Rosazzo was built upon an earlier hermitage dating from the beginning of the 9th century. Founded by Patriarch Sighard between 1068 and 1077, it quickly gained importance,...
Castello di Villafredda (Tarcento) »
Located within a short distance of the road which in ancient times went from Udine to Tarcento and Gemona, the castle of Villafredda was probably built over an earlier fortress dating from the end of...
Fortezza di Osoppo »
Girolamo di Porcia described the castle in 1567: “ Osoppo Castle and Fortress, standing on a hilltop overlooking the River Tagliamento, at the foot of the mountains but too far from them to...
Castello di Villalta (Fagagna) »
On the ruins of a castelliere of remote times and a fortress of probable Roman origin, traces of which are still visible today, stands what is considered one of the most evocative castles in Friuli...
Palazzo Panigai Ovio (Panigai di Pravisdomini) »
Some Portogruaro documents, dating from the 12th century, record the name of Artico de Panialis as the founder of the Panigai family. The family were mentioned again in 1326, when Nicolò, Leonardo,...
Castello di Spilimbergo »
The castle of Spilimbergo, whose original structures date back to the 10th/11th century, today appears as a cluster of stately residences arranged in a ring around a large central courtyard and is surrounded...
Castello di Udine »
“ Castrum Utini ” was first mentioned in 983, when it was donated by Emperor Otto II to Patriarch Rodoald. As early as the thirteenth century the castle was the ordinary residence of the patriarchs;...
5 novembre 2022
Presentazione della pubblicazione Castello di Strassoldo
5 novembre 2022 alle ore 16.00 - Corpo di Guardia del Castello di Strassoldo di Sotto
15 ottobre 2022
Le chiese dei castelli - Die Burgkapellen
Spazio Sacro Castellano - Andachtsorte der Burg Abbazia fortificata di Rosazzo 15 - 16 ottobre 2022
14 ottobre 2022
“Magici intrecci autunnali” 14-15-16 ottobre 2022
Castello di Strassoldo di Sopra
1 ottobre 2022
Sabato 1 e Domenica 2 Ottobre 2022
25 settembre 2022
GEP 2022 - Visita guidata alla Torre medievale di Porta Aquileia
Domenica 25 settembre 2022