The Consortium for Defence of Castles was founded in December 1968, for the purpose of gathering together the owners, possessors and holders under any title of castles and other fortified works in the region, such as towers, fortified palaces, fortified houses, defensive walls or ruins in order to undertake joint action for their recovery, re-use and enhancement.
The Tower of Porta Aquileia was part of the city's fifth walled circuit, which began around the middle of the 14th century and was completed a little over a century later; with Porta Villalta, it is the only surviving one of the thirteen gates that connected the city with the most important road and trade routes. It housed the dwelling of the Keeper, who had the task of controlling the transit of people and goods and the obligation of witnessing the closing and opening of the gate.
By 1852, the tower was deemed unserviceable and abandoned. After the first restoration works in 1948 and 1960, a more complex intervention was planned in the 1990s to restore the building's full functionality and allow it to be used again, which culminated in the 1998 restoration.
Torre di Porta Aquileia,
Piazzetta del Pozzo 21
Banca Intesa San Paolo
filiale via Volturno, 18 - Udine
IT 74 M 03069 12307 074004259904
Orari di apertura
Da lunedì a venerdì
dalle 15.00 alle 19.00
martedì dalle 15.00 alle 19.00
Informazioni e prenotazioni:
Tel: 0432 288588
Cell: 328 6693865
Castello di Strassoldo di sotto (Cervignano del Fr.) »
The Lower Castle at Strassoldo is accessed by a characteristic 17th century postern gate, leading to a smaller circle of wall. Beyond the wall there are farm buildings and the little chapel of San Marco,...
Castello di Cassacco »
From analyses conducted on its brickwork, it is almost certain that the castle dates back to the Early Middle Ages. The first data gathered regarding the castle dates back to 1202 when a visit by Count...
Città Fortificata di Palmanova »
The construction of the fortress of Palma was decided following the loss of the important stronghold of Gradisca, on 7 October 1593, on the 22nd anniversary of the battle of Lepanto. On that day, in nearby...
Castello di Gorizia »
The village “ quae Sclavorum lingua vocatur Gorizia ” (which in Slavonic tongue is called Gorizia) was first mentioned in a document dated 28 April 1001, by which Emperor Otto III granted...
Castello di Artegna »
Ever since the Roman Empire, a fortified settlement had been established on San Martino hill to control the Julia Augusta way. According to Lombard historian Paul the Deacon, in 610 it offered protection...
Castello di Udine »
“ Castrum Utini ” was first mentioned in 983, when it was donated by Emperor Otto II to Patriarch Rodoald. As early as the thirteenth century the castle was the ordinary residence of the patriarchs;...
Castelcosa (Cosa di Spilimbergo) »
In von Jaksch’s “ Monumenta historica ducatus Karinthiae ”, Wolftrigel, Lord of Cosa, is mentioned as being part of the court of Patriarch Pellegrino of Pao. He probably belonged to...
Castello di Miramare »
More than a traditional fortress, Miramar Castle near Triest is a typical example of a 19th century palatial residence, built in the eclectic style that was fashionable at that time. Constructed in 1858-1860...
Castello di Villalta (Fagagna) »
On the ruins of a castelliere of remote times and a fortress of probable Roman origin, traces of which are still visible today, stands what is considered one of the most evocative castles in Friuli...
Castello di Muggia »
All that has survived of the Medieval fortified settlement of Muggia Vecchia, dating back to Roman times (it lay along the Via Flavia that went from Tergeste, now Trieste, to Pula in Dalmatia), are sections...
Castello di Porcia »
Count Girolamo di Porcia described his family manor in his Descrizione della Patria del Friuli dating from 1567: “ Porzia Castle and Estate on the west bank of the River Tagliamento, 26 miles...
Castello di Prampero (Magnano in Riviera) »
In 1025, the Patriarch of Aquileia Popone, in support of the Holy Roman Empire's policy of peaceful expansion, which also in Friuli aimed at renewing the late antique agricultural and commercial splendour,...
Castello di Arcano (Rive d'Arcano) »
The castle from upper Arcano, originally built near the church of San Mauro along the banks of the River Corno, was erected upon the ruins of a Roman villa. It was later rebuilt in its present location,...
Palazzo Panigai Ovio (Panigai di Pravisdomini) »
Some Portogruaro documents, dating from the 12th century, record the name of Artico de Panialis as the founder of the Panigai family. The family were mentioned again in 1326, when Nicolò, Leonardo,...
Castello di Zoppola »
The castle was probably built at the beginning of the 11th century, guarding the road that from a ford of the River Tagliamento went to Portus Naonis (now Pordenone), then threatened by the Hungarians....
Fortezza di Osoppo »
Girolamo di Porcia described the castle in 1567: “ Osoppo Castle and Fortress, standing on a hilltop overlooking the River Tagliamento, at the foot of the mountains but too far from them to...
Castello di Albana (Prepotto) »
Constructed to defend the Judrio valley, the castle was mentioned for the first time in 1161 “ in villa qui dicitur Albana ”. In 1185 the castle and its surroundings became a feudal holding...
Castello di Ragogna »
The hill on which stands the fortified complex of the upper castle with the ancient parish church of San Pietro has offered a natural, easily defensible shelter since ancient times. This hill, site...
Castello di Duino »
The New Castle of Duino, a manor of Rilke's memory, in which the German poet wrote his Duinese Elegies, has been documented since 1363, the year in which the two forts were first mentioned: the Old...
Castello di Spessa di Capriva del Friuli »
The current architectural structure of Spessa di Capriva Castle was designed by the Triestine architect Ruggero Berlam, who, at the beginning of the 20th century, worked on an older building, working...
5 novembre 2022
Presentazione della pubblicazione Castello di Strassoldo
5 novembre 2022 alle ore 16.00 - Corpo di Guardia del Castello di Strassoldo di Sotto
15 ottobre 2022
Le chiese dei castelli - Die Burgkapellen
Spazio Sacro Castellano - Andachtsorte der Burg Abbazia fortificata di Rosazzo 15 - 16 ottobre 2022
14 ottobre 2022
“Magici intrecci autunnali” 14-15-16 ottobre 2022
Castello di Strassoldo di Sopra
1 ottobre 2022
Sabato 1 e Domenica 2 Ottobre 2022
25 settembre 2022
GEP 2022 - Visita guidata alla Torre medievale di Porta Aquileia
Domenica 25 settembre 2022