Castello di Cucagna (Faedis)
In a document dating back to 1186, Warnero (or Guarnero), who in 1166 was called “di Faedis”, signed with the name “Cucagna”. Therefore it is probable that during those twenty years this feudal lord had permission from the Patriarch of Aquileia to construct the castle, on a site which had already been fortified during the Roman age. Situated above the village of Faedis, it was the main part of an imposing defence system which started on the mountain slopes with a small outpost, continued to the Zucco castle, then arrived to the Cucagna castle, and followed with a small fortress on the higher Rodingerius hill. This impressive defence system was equal to the power and prestige the family wielded - the Counts of Cucagna were one of the most prominent families in the Aquileian State, whose members were chamberlains to the Patriarch. The castle, which can still today be reached by following the old castle road, was probably abandoned in the 15th century. It constitutes a precious example of a Medieval fortification which has not undergone the huge transformation which altered the appearance of the majority of fortified works. For years now the castle has hosted an International summer seminar on Medieval architecture.