Forte di Marano (Marano Lagunare)
Girolamo di Porcia wrote in the 16th century that Marano was “a dreadfully intricate place, with walls, terrepleins and very wide inlets filled up with water. It can be accessed by just one road and is surrounded by marshes on five sides.” Ancient documents say very little on the origins of this castle. It was first documented in 1216 when it was attacked by Venice, who besieged it again in 1254 and 1287. Annoyed by the existence of a Patriarchal fief in such a favourable position in the lagoon, the Serenissima made every attempt to gain possession of the fortress, sometimes trying to instigate rebellions against the Patriarchal rule.
In the war which followed the controversial election of Patriarch Philippe d’Alençon, Marano took the side of the Patriarch. As a result it was taken by Ferrara, but was returned to Aquileia in 1389. In 1420 it was conquered by Venice like the rest of Friuli. In 1513 it passed to Austria but was acquired again by Venice in 1543. With the construction of the fortress of Palma it lost its strategic importance, like other fortresses in Friuli.