Castello di Pordenone
In 1202 the citizens of Pordenone were able to resist the attack of Pilgrim, Patriarch of Aquileia, so we can presume that the town was already fortified at the time. The castle was first mentioned in 1273 but the town has been known since Roman times, when it was called Portus Naonis. Having being made an Imperial county, Pordenone was granted as a feudal holding to Albert, Duke of Austria, who sold it in 1314 to Ludovico di Porcia. From this time onwards Pordenone passed through the hands of different families; eventually in 1387 it came into the possession of Francesco da Carrara, who was related to the Austrian crown. During the 15th century its political situation was very uncertain - a state of things that was easily exploited by the Venetians, who occupied the town in 1508 granting it to Bartolomeo d’Alviano. When Bartolomeo’s son Livio died without an heir, Venice regained possession of the town; a capitano was nominated to administer the town, which was kept separate from the rest of Friuli. Pordenone has many noteworthy buildings and interesting sights, including remains of the old defensive works and the castle, now converted into a prison.