Castello di Albana (Prepotto)
Constructed to defend the Judrio valley, the castle was mentioned for the first time in 1161 “in villa qui dicitur Albana”. In 1185 the castle and its surroundings became a feudal holding of Pertoldo d’Albana who upon his death left his possessions to the Church of Santa Maria in Cividale. Afterwards it became a feudal holding of the Traburgo d’Albana family, a noble family originally from Carnia. In 1282 it passed to the de’ Portis family, nobility from Cividale, and from this family, following the marriage of Fiammetta de’ Portis to Giacomo, Viscount of Mels, it became a holding of the Mels-Albana family.
In 1509 the castle was attacked by Venetian troops but was able to oppose a valid resistance, by virtue of its strong defences and the extreme pugnacity of its owners, politically pro-Imperialist and therefore hostile towards the Serenissima. Involved in numerous wars, the castle was destroyed and reconstructed several times (it was also damaged during World War II), finally to reach its present form of a fortified house.