Castello di Manzano
The Castle of Manzano was completely destroyed in 1431, after its Lords sided with Patriarch Ludwig von Teck against the Republic of Venice - the Lords themselves were only spared their lives because the Counts of Cividale had interceded on their behalf. The history of the castle is closely tied with that of its powerful feudal lords, who played a prominent role in the Patriarchate of Aquileia. Probably of German descent, they settled in Friuli around the 11th century and soon held very important offices. They were members of the Friulian Parliament and sat on the Council of Cividale; in 1227 Corrado di Manzano was elected vice-dominus of the Church of Aquileia.
The ruins of the castle still occupy the top of a hill overlooking the River Natisone, an ideal location for controlling the road to Cividale and Gorizia. Originally a round-plan tower house, the castle was protected on its west side it by a series of artificial terraces; on its south side, by a natural cliff. All that remains today is a thick wall made of square blocks of stone.