Rocca Bernarda (Premariacco)
The castle of Rocca Bernarda is standing on top of a hill at a locality once known as Azzano, probably from the Roman name Atius. Originally a Patriarchal fief, the estate was later donated to the city of Cividale. In the 15th century Cividale left the estate to the Capiferro family, originally from Rome; when the last of the Capiferros, Pantasilea, married Giacomo Valvason di Maniago, it became a possession of the Valvason family. On the orders of Ippolito Valvason and his son Bernardo, in 1567 a fortified manor was built on the estate, being named after its landlord, Bernardo. It later passed to Counts Riccati of Castelfranco Veneto and after them to other families; it eventually became a property of Counts Perusini. When Giacomo Perusini, a well-known Friulian historian, died in 1977, it passed to the Order of Malta. The beautiful castle, built in characteristic 16th century style, is surrounded by a large park and encloses a small Italian-style garden.