Palazzo Fortificato Valesio Calice (Paularo)
The Calices, a noble Tolmezzo family who were also barons of the Holy Roman Empire, settled in the Incaroio Valley in the second half of the 16th century, probably sent there by the Venetian administration to superintend over timber making in the area. The castle, dating from the Middle Ages, originally included a large tower flanked by smaller buildings and a curtain wall. It was extensively redeveloped by Giacomo Calice, who in 1690 enlarged the northern wing incorporating the ancient tower and in 1730 added an extra floor to the western wing. The large complex contains beautiful 17th century frescoes, multicoloured stuccos and precious 16th and 17th century furniture. Other interesting features include the “Sala dei ritratti” (Portrait gallery), two large kitchens, the ancient guardshouse with an attractive marble fireplace, a large library with an archive, and a 19th century shop where the family used to sell their own produce.