Consorzio per la salvaguardia dei castelli storici del Friuli Venezia Giulia
Motore di ricerca
×

Castello di Sacile

Built on an island on the River Livenza, Sacile Castle dates back to the end of the 10th century. In 1207 it hosted the Curia Vassallorum, the assembly of the Patriarch’s vassals summoned by Patriarch Wolfger von Leibrechtskirchen. At the time the castle comprised two separate buildings, known as Castelvecchio and Castello di Corte, with a curtain wall and two main gates - an eastern gate called Borgo Ricco, opening in the direction of Friuli, and a western gate known as Inferiore or San Gregorio, opening in the direction of Treviso. Threatened by the attacks of Counts Camino and Della Scala, the castle was re-fortified after a period of neglect in 1274 and 1325, on the orders of Patriarchs Raimund and Paganus von Thurn (della Torre). It was reinforced again in 1347 when Patriarch Bertram de Saint Geniès ordered the construction of a new curtain wall extending from the castle to the harbour, and yet again in 1409 on the orders of Patriarch Antonio Panciera. The most comprehensive description of the castle was written by G. Marchesini in 1957. Illustrating the site, he remarked that “the ruins of the ancient castle could still be seen all around the Cathedral.”