Castello di Montereale Valcellina
Castrum Montis Regalis, overlooking the Cellina Valley, was first mentioned in 1213 when Patriarch Wolfger von Leibrechtskirchen granted it to brothers Varnero, Albertino e Odorico di Montereale as their feudal holding. Historian Vincenzo Joppi remarked that “the Counts of Montereale first appeared in Friuli at the beginning of the 13th century, arriving from Val di Croda.” We presume that the fortress later came under siege, since there is evidence that on 6 July 1241 Count Mainardo di Gorizia, administrator of the Church of Aquileia, ordered Olvrandino di Maniago to refund the damages he had caused by attacking the castle. In 1276 Patriarch Raimund von Thurn (della Torre) granted the fortress to Pietro and Sibello Montereale, but then siezed it in 1290. Between 1313 and 1318 the Montereales were involved in many local wars against the Counts of Pinzano, Toppo and Maniago. On 24 September Bianchino di Porcia plundered and burned the castle, which quickly fell to ruin.