Consortium for the protection of the historical castles of Friuli Venezia Giulia
Motore di ricerca
×

Castello di Ragogna

The castle controlled a ford of the River Tagliamento located near the Roman road that went from Concordia Sagittaria to Osoppo. Mentioned in the early 11th century by Venantius Fortunatus, the castle appears twice in Paul the Deacon’s Historia Langobardorum, in connection with the Avar invasions of 610 and 693. Subjected in 1122 to the jurisdiction of the Eppenstein family, Dukes of Carinthia, in 1218 the castle was granted as their feudal holding by the Patriarch of Aquileia. Frequently besieged during the successive wars between Patriarchate and Duchy of Austria, in 1390 the castle was permanently ceded by Giovannino di Ragogna to Patriarch Jan V of Moravia. After the Venetian conquest of Friuli in 1420, it was given to the Counts of Porcia. It later fell into decay and in 1567 was described by historian Girolamo di Porcia: “Ragogna ruins of a Castle; there are remains of several towers, peasant dwellings, a church and a tower where is the residence of the Counts.” The castle was abandoned at the end of the 18th century.