Castello di Buttrio
The castle was mentioned for the first time in 1219 when Giacomo, Count of Buttrio, became a citizen of Treviso by siding against Berthold, Patriarch of Aquileia; two centuries prior, however, the existence of a village was documented. In a 14th-century drawing, the fortress consisted of a walled enclosure with a tower-gate and a peripheral cuspidated tower. A well-protected city, close to both Udine and Cividale, Buttrio was strategically valuable and subject to many bloody battles. Betrayed by one of its lords, in 1306 the castle fell into the hands of the Count of Gorizia. Subsequently besieged by the Patriarch’s military forces, it was taken and destroyed; three years later it was reconstructed. It eventually passed to the Cividale noble family de Portis. During the 17th and 18th centuries important works were carried out on the castle, which continued in the following centuries by the Counts of Varmo and later the Barons of Morpurgo.
The large complex, furnished with two tall towers, dominates from on high the wide expanse of vineyards.