Castello di Spessa di Capriva del Friuli
The Castle of Spessa, near Capriva, was completely redeveloped at the beginning of the 20th century. A Triest architect, Ruggero Berlam, remodelled it in a Gothic-revival style, adding a crenellated tower with scalloping and rusticated brickwork, very ornate cornices, and a central double-lancet window adorned by a multi-coloured arch. The original castle had probably been built upon the remains of an ancient observation tower, which might have dated back to Roman times and was probably used by the Lombards. Originally owned by the noble Rassauer family, it later passed to the Counts Torre-Valsassina, giving hospitality in 1773 to Giacomo Casanova. All that is left of the original castle are the cellars, which have been dug in the ground and have retained their original appearance, and some fragments of wall in the western portion of the building.