Castello di San Floriano (S. Floriano del Collio)
Saint Florian is traditionally depicted in the act of putting out a fire and is popularly believed to offer protection against this particular hazard. The fact that the hill is named after him indicated that an ancient castle was probably standing here, and this is confirmed by the presence of ruins of walls and numerous other remains. A Patriarchal property since the 11th century, it was first mentioned in a document from 1170-1190 as a feudal holding of the Abbey of Santa Maria d’Aquileia. It later became a fief of the Ungrispach family and in 1520 it passed to Vinciguerra Formentini, a member of an ancient Cividale family who are still the owners of the estate. Because of its strategic importance, it was involved in numerous battles, particularly during the Gradisca war at the beginning of 17th century. Having suffered serious damage during the two World Wars, it has been carefully restored and is now a prestigous hotel.