Castello di Zoppola
The castle was probably built at the beginning of the 11th century, guarding the road that from a ford of the River Tagliamento went to Portus Naonis (now Pordenone), then threatened by the Hungarians. Originally a property of the Duke of Austria, the fief was first granted to the Counts of Zoppola and later to the Counts of Valvasone and Mels-Prodolone. In 1405 the castle and its estate became a feudal holding of the family of the Patriarch of Aquileia, Antonio Panciera, who have kept it to this day. In ancient times the castle was defended by three curtains of walls with moats (still partly preserved), gates and towers. Today only the main tower remains, standing almost at the centre of the castle. The inner ward has been embellished with frescoes by Pomponio Amalteo; dug inside an outer wall, there is a miniscule Renaissance study with an antique majolica stove and a beautifully painted and gilded wooden ceiling.