Castello di Valvasone
As indicated by the base of its castle keep, Valvasone had been the site of a fortification already in Roman or Early-Medieval times, controlling over one of the most important crossing points over the Tagliamento river. Contended for by many feudal families, at the end of the 13th century the castle became the permanent property of a branch of the Cucagna family, hereditary chamberlains of the Patriarchate of Aquileia and one of the principal families of Friuli.
Although most of the Medieval defensive works have been preserved, the complex underwent radical transformation in the sixteenth century, as shown by the magnificent, renaissance-style appearance of the buildings gathered round the castle court.
Also of great interest is the ‘borgo’ (fortified village) comprising fine houses and palaces, Medieval sottoporticos and a cathedral, built between 1445 and 1461. The cathedral, which contains a sixteenth-century organ by Vincenzo Colombo, has doors painted by Pordenone and Amalteo, the altar of Santa Caterina with altarpiece by Quaglio and paliotto by Cabianca, as well as the fifteenth-century Madonna.