Palazzo d'Attimis Maniago (Maniago)
The acquisition, transformation and completion of the villa in its present form took place between 1513 and 1750. In fact, already from the 1448 divisions between the Consorti of Maniago, it appears that Federico and his son Giovanni Antonio owned a dwelling 'outside the castle', so that the existence of a dwelling outside the castle walls can be traced back to around 1428. This dwelling was enlarged by them and their grandson Pietro (1536) through acquisitions of neighbouring properties from Nicolò di Fratta, Valentino Muraro, Gordolo known as Fabruzzi and others. These acquisitions and transformations were necessary to repair the very serious damage caused by the earthquakes of 1511 and the even more disastrous one of 1575, which demolished the castle and part of the village including the bell tower. On the façade of the north body of the palace, which can be considered the oldest, the well-known painter Pomponio Amalteo frescoed around 1550 the rampant winged lion of Venice, which holds, in place of the classic open Gospel, the coat of arms of the Signori di Maniago. This work was commissioned by the family to commemorate the agreement reached between Bartolomeo di Maniago and the Venetian Republic on 5 June 1420, which put an end to the disputes between the Patriarchate of Aquileia and the Venetian Republic. The current final arrangement and embellishment of the building complex was carried out by Co. Fabio I di Maniago (1706-1773) especially on the occasion of his marriage to Co. Caterina of the well-known family of the Counts of Spilimbergo. We do not have the name of the architect who oversaw the 18th-century layout of the building; it is likely that Co. Fabio himself was responsible for its execution. He was a man of considerable culture, a historian of the family and an accurate record of circumstances and events, so much so that there are lists of works carried out and furniture and furnishings introduced into the house, especially on the occasion of his marriage to Countess Caterina of Spilimbergo (19/09/1739). From the documents in the archive of the Counts d'Attimis Maniago it is possible to follow the phases of transformation of an already existing building almost in its entirety: -the central part is reorganised, making the façade on the square homogenous; -the staircase and the covering of the portico are built (1738); -the added construction of the right wing towards the garden of the Madonna is carried out, the new church is built (1778-1784) and completed with the coretti and the element of conjunction and vertical distribution containing the wooden staircase connecting all the floors; -the hierarchical rooms were renovated, including the rooms on the first floor, in which stuccoes and decorations were made (1740); - the stable was built (1737), the framed and unframed walls of the courtyard, in 1775-1779-1784 the cedar house and the granary; - the work on the Italian garden was carried out by the gardener of the Ca. Manin Mr Francesco Bertoldi in 1778. By this century, Ca' dei Maniago was already fully built, as attested by the Napoleonic land registers of 1812-1832 in the indication of No. 3 - civil house of 330 metric poles; No. II - building for rural reason with workshops, 321 metric poles; No. 4 - kitchen garden of 247 metric poles.