Castello di Cordovado
Mentioned in the 12th century, the fortified complex was a possession of the Bishop of Concordia, who was bestowed with the title of Marquis of Cordovado. The government was entrusted to an administrator together with four other members and was based on laws dating back to before 1270, which were reformed and broadened by bishops Fulcherio di Zuccola and Guido de’ Guisis. Over time the administration was essentially inherited by the de’ Ridolfi family, who often were referred to as “da Cordovado”. The fortified village, of vast proportions, was enclosed by a wall forming a quadrilateral outline; segments of the city wall and the southern and northern gates still remain, protected by a broad moat. Inside the walls stood the castle, demolished a century ago, with the tall main tower, the keep and other ancillary buildings - some of notable value and still standing such as Palazzo Ridolfi Bozza Marrubini, an elegant Medieval palace, and the grand 17th century Villa d’Attimis Freschi Piccolimini, with the vast park and the chapel of San Girolamo.