Consortium for the protection of the historical castles of Friuli Venezia Giulia
Motore di ricerca
×

The Consortium for Defence of Castles was founded in December 1968, for the purpose of gathering together the owners, possessors and holders under any title of castles and other fortified works in the region, such as towers, fortified palaces, fortified houses, defensive walls or ruins in order to undertake joint action for their recovery, re-use and enhancement.

Headquarters

The Tower of Porta Aquileia was part of the city's fifth walled circuit, which began around the middle of the 14th century and was completed a little over a century later; with Porta Villalta, it is the only surviving one of the thirteen gates that connected the city with the most important road and trade routes. It housed the dwelling of the Keeper, who had the task of controlling the transit of people and goods and the obligation of witnessing the closing and opening of the gate.

By 1852, the tower was deemed unserviceable and abandoned. After the first restoration works in 1948 and 1960, a more complex intervention was planned in the 1990s to restore the building's full functionality and allow it to be used again, which culminated in the 1998 restoration.

Sede
Torre di Porta Aquileia,
Piazzetta del Pozzo 21

33100 Udine
CF 80025260300

P.IVA 00653630301
Tel 0432-288588

SDI: USAL8PV 

info@consorziocastelli.it

consorziocastellifvg@pec.it

Codice IBAN
Banca Intesa San Paolo
filiale via Martignacco, 231 - Udine
IT 84 R 03069 12377 100000011756

Orari di apertura
Da lunedì a venerdì
dalle 15.00 alle 19.00

 

Biblioteca
martedì dalle 15.00 alle 19.00
 

Visite
Informazioni e prenotazioni:
Tel: 0432 288588

Cell: 328 6693865
e-mail: visite@consorziocastelli.it

 

I castelli

Castelcosa (Cosa di Spilimbergo) »

In von Jaksch’s “ Monumenta historica ducatus Karinthiae ”, Wolftrigel, Lord of Cosa, is mentioned as being part of the court of Patriarch Pellegrino of Pao. He probably belonged to...

Castello di Colloredo di Monte Albano »

The Colloredo Mels castle is located in Colloredo di Monte Albano (Ud). It was erected in 1302 by Baron William of Waldsee, Viscount of Mels, a knight of ancient Swabian lineage, on a family-owned hill...

Castello di Buttrio »

Buttrio Castle has been known since 1139 and it can be assumed that it was already built in the 11th century, given its strategic position. From the top of the Pampinutta hill it dominates the plains...

Castello di Udine »

“ Castrum Utini ” was first mentioned in 983, when it was donated by Emperor Otto II to Patriarch Rodoald. As early as the thirteenth century the castle was the ordinary residence of the patriarchs;...

Castello di Spessa di Capriva del Friuli »

The current architectural structure of Spessa di Capriva Castle was designed by the Triestine architect Ruggero Berlam, who, at the beginning of the 20th century, worked on an older building, working...

Città Fortificata di Palmanova »

The construction of the fortress of Palma was decided following the loss of the important stronghold of Gradisca, on 7 October 1593, on the 22nd anniversary of the battle of Lepanto. On that day, in nearby...

Castello di Arcano (Rive d'Arcano) »

The castle from upper Arcano, originally built near the church of San Mauro along the banks of the River Corno, was erected upon the ruins of a Roman villa. It was later rebuilt in its present location,...

Palazzo Panigai Ovio (Panigai di Pravisdomini) »

Some Portogruaro documents, dating from the 12th century, record the name of Artico de Panialis as the founder of the Panigai family. The family were mentioned again in 1326, when Nicolò, Leonardo,...

Castello di Muggia »

All that has survived of the Medieval fortified settlement of Muggia Vecchia, dating back to Roman times (it lay along the Via Flavia that went from Tergeste, now Trieste, to Pula in Dalmatia), are sections...

Castello di Porcia »

Count Girolamo di Porcia described his family manor in his Descrizione della Patria del Friuli dating from 1567: “ Porzia Castle and Estate on the west bank of the River Tagliamento, 26 miles...

Castello di Gorizia »

The village “ quae Sclavorum lingua vocatur Gorizia ” (which in Slavonic tongue is called Gorizia) was first mentioned in a document dated 28 April 1001, by which Emperor Otto III granted...

Castello di Spilimbergo »

The castle of Spilimbergo, whose original structures date back to the 10th/11th century, today appears as a cluster of stately residences arranged in a ring around a large central courtyard and is surrounded...

Castello di Albana (Prepotto) »

Constructed to defend the Judrio valley, the castle was mentioned for the first time in 1161 “ in villa qui dicitur Albana ”. In 1185 the castle and its surroundings became a feudal holding...

Castello di Cassacco »

From analyses conducted on its brickwork, it is almost certain that the castle dates back to the Early Middle Ages. The first data gathered regarding the castle dates back to 1202 when a visit by Count...

Casa Fortificata La Brunelde (Fagagna) »

The Brunelde fortress, built on pre-Roman pre-existences (4th-3rd centuries BC), is mentioned as early as 1208 in a list of feudal possessions of the Counts of Arcano, marshals and confaloniers of the...

Castello di Artegna »

Ever since the Roman Empire, a fortified settlement had been established on San Martino hill to control the Julia Augusta way. According to Lombard historian Paul the Deacon, in 610 it offered protection...

Castello di Ragogna »

The hill on which stands the fortified complex of the upper castle with the ancient parish church of San Pietro has offered a natural, easily defensible shelter since ancient times. This hill, site...

Fortezza di Osoppo »

Girolamo di Porcia described the castle in 1567: “ Osoppo Castle and Fortress, standing on a hilltop overlooking the River Tagliamento, at the foot of the mountains but too far from them to...

Castello di Cordovado »

The beautiful fortified village, whose origins date back to before the year 1000, and even to prehistoric times, is enclosed within a walled circuit of an almost quadrilateral shape, built on the ancient...

Città Fortificata di Venzone »

Possibly a Roman settlement, Venzone was first recorded in a 923 document mentioning the “clausas de Abincione,” thus indicating the presence of a toll station in the village. At the beginning...

Guarda i video