Consortium for the protection of the historical castles of Friuli Venezia Giulia
Motore di ricerca
×

The Consortium for Defence of Castles was founded in December 1968, for the purpose of gathering together the owners, possessors and holders under any title of castles and other fortified works in the region, such as towers, fortified palaces, fortified houses, defensive walls or ruins in order to undertake joint action for their recovery, re-use and enhancement.

Headquarters

The Tower of Porta Aquileia was part of the city's fifth walled circuit, which began around the middle of the 14th century and was completed a little over a century later; with Porta Villalta, it is the only surviving one of the thirteen gates that connected the city with the most important road and trade routes. It housed the dwelling of the Keeper, who had the task of controlling the transit of people and goods and the obligation of witnessing the closing and opening of the gate.

By 1852, the tower was deemed unserviceable and abandoned. After the first restoration works in 1948 and 1960, a more complex intervention was planned in the 1990s to restore the building's full functionality and allow it to be used again, which culminated in the 1998 restoration.

Sede
Torre di Porta Aquileia,
Piazzetta del Pozzo 21

33100 Udine
CF 80025260300

P.IVA 00653630301
Tel 0432-288588

SDI: USAL8PV 

info@consorziocastelli.it

consorziocastellifvg@pec.it

Codice IBAN
Banca Intesa San Paolo
filiale via Martignacco, 231 - Udine
IT 84 R 03069 12377 100000011756

Orari di apertura
Da lunedì a venerdì
dalle 15.00 alle 19.00

 

Biblioteca
martedì dalle 15.00 alle 19.00
 

Visite
Informazioni e prenotazioni:
Tel: 0432 288588

Cell: 328 6693865
e-mail: visite@consorziocastelli.it

 

I castelli

Castello di Spessa di Capriva del Friuli »

The current architectural structure of Spessa di Capriva Castle was designed by the Triestine architect Ruggero Berlam, who, at the beginning of the 20th century, worked on an older building, working...

Castello di San Giusto (Trieste) »

The hill was originally occupied by a fortified prehistoric village, which later became an important Roman settlement; its ruins can still be visited today. The castle, built by the Venetians during the...

Castello di Cordovado »

The beautiful fortified village, whose origins date back to before the year 1000, and even to prehistoric times, is enclosed within a walled circuit of an almost quadrilateral shape, built on the ancient...

Castello di Susans (Majano) »

Probably erected on the site of a Roman castrum, the castle of Susans was first mentioned in 1031 as “villa de Suzan”. Subjected to the jurisdiction of the Church of Aquileia, the castle was...

Castello di Torre di Pordenone »

Built at the end of the 13th century by the Counts of Prata, probably upon the ruins of a Roman settlement, it was long contended for by the Counts of Gorizia, the Dukes of Austria and the Patriarchs...

Castello di Zoppola »

The castle was probably built at the beginning of the 11th century, guarding the road that from a ford of the River Tagliamento went to Portus Naonis (now Pordenone), then threatened by the Hungarians....

Castello di Spilimbergo »

The castle of Spilimbergo, whose original structures date back to the 10th/11th century, today appears as a cluster of stately residences arranged in a ring around a large central courtyard and is surrounded...

Castello di San Floriano (S. Floriano del Collio) »

Saint Florian is traditionally depicted in the act of putting out a fire and is popularly believed to offer protection against this particular hazard. The fact that the hill is named after him indicated...

Castello di Miramare  »

More than a traditional fortress, Miramar Castle near Triest is a typical example of a 19th century palatial residence, built in the eclectic style that was fashionable at that time. Constructed in 1858-1860...

Castello di Albana (Prepotto) »

Constructed to defend the Judrio valley, the castle was mentioned for the first time in 1161 “ in villa qui dicitur Albana ”. In 1185 the castle and its surroundings became a feudal holding...

Castello di Prampero (Magnano in Riviera) »

In 1025, the Patriarch of Aquileia Popone, in support of the Holy Roman Empire's policy of peaceful expansion, which also in Friuli aimed at renewing the late antique agricultural and commercial splendour,...

Castello di Udine »

“ Castrum Utini ” was first mentioned in 983, when it was donated by Emperor Otto II to Patriarch Rodoald. As early as the thirteenth century the castle was the ordinary residence of the patriarchs;...

Palazzo Fortificato Lantieri (Gorizia) »

From 1200 to 1300, when the lower town wall was built, a villa of the Counts of Gorizia called Schoenhaus, now Palazzo Lantieri, was incorporated around the tower with a drawbridge, built near the town...

Castello di Gorizia »

The village “ quae Sclavorum lingua vocatur Gorizia ” (which in Slavonic tongue is called Gorizia) was first mentioned in a document dated 28 April 1001, by which Emperor Otto III granted...

Castello di Strassoldo di sotto (Cervignano del Fr.) »

The Lower Castle at Strassoldo is accessed by a characteristic 17th century postern gate, leading to a smaller circle of wall. Beyond the wall there are farm buildings and the little chapel of San Marco,...

Città Fortificata di Palmanova »

The construction of the fortress of Palma was decided following the loss of the important stronghold of Gradisca, on 7 October 1593, on the 22nd anniversary of the battle of Lepanto. On that day, in nearby...

Castelcosa (Cosa di Spilimbergo) »

In von Jaksch’s “ Monumenta historica ducatus Karinthiae ”, Wolftrigel, Lord of Cosa, is mentioned as being part of the court of Patriarch Pellegrino of Pao. He probably belonged to...

Castello di Buttrio »

Buttrio Castle has been known since 1139 and it can be assumed that it was already built in the 11th century, given its strategic position. From the top of the Pampinutta hill it dominates the plains...

Castello di Artegna »

Ever since the Roman Empire, a fortified settlement had been established on San Martino hill to control the Julia Augusta way. According to Lombard historian Paul the Deacon, in 610 it offered protection...

Castello di Duino »

The New Castle of Duino, a manor of Rilke's memory, in which the German poet wrote his Duinese Elegies, has been documented since 1363, the year in which the two forts were first mentioned: the Old...

Guarda i video

Scarica la nostra app