The Consortium for Defence of Castles was founded in December 1968, for the purpose of gathering together the owners, possessors and holders under any title of castles and other fortified works in the region, such as towers, fortified palaces, fortified houses, defensive walls or ruins in order to undertake joint action for their recovery, re-use and enhancement.
The Tower of Porta Aquileia was part of the city's fifth walled circuit, which began around the middle of the 14th century and was completed a little over a century later; with Porta Villalta, it is the only surviving one of the thirteen gates that connected the city with the most important road and trade routes. It housed the dwelling of the Keeper, who had the task of controlling the transit of people and goods and the obligation of witnessing the closing and opening of the gate.
By 1852, the tower was deemed unserviceable and abandoned. After the first restoration works in 1948 and 1960, a more complex intervention was planned in the 1990s to restore the building's full functionality and allow it to be used again, which culminated in the 1998 restoration.
Torre di Porta Aquileia,
Piazzetta del Pozzo 21
Banca Intesa San Paolo
filiale via Volturno, 18 - Udine
IT 74 M 03069 12307 074004259904
Orari di apertura
Da lunedì a venerdì
dalle 15.00 alle 19.00
martedì dalle 15.00 alle 19.00
Informazioni e prenotazioni:
Tel: 0432 288588
Cell: 328 6693865
Rocca Bernarda (Premariacco) »
The castle of Rocca Bernarda is standing on top of a hill at a locality once known as Azzano, probably from the Roman name Atius. Originally a Patriarchal fief, the estate was later donated to the city...
Castello di Porcia »
Count Girolamo di Porcia described his family manor in his Descrizione della Patria del Friuli dating from 1567: “ Porzia Castle and Estate on the west bank of the River Tagliamento, 26 miles...
Castello di Cordovado »
The beautiful fortified village, whose origins date back to before the year 1000, and even to prehistoric times, is enclosed within a walled circuit of an almost quadrilateral shape, built on the ancient...
Città Fortificata di Palmanova »
The construction of the fortress of Palma was decided following the loss of the important stronghold of Gradisca, on 7 October 1593, on the 22nd anniversary of the battle of Lepanto. On that day, in nearby...
Castello di Tricesimo »
The Latin name of Tricesimo ( Tricesimum o Tricensimum , meaning thirtieth ) refers to the fact that it was originally a Roman settlement lying 30 miles to the north of Aquileia, controlling the road...
Castello di Villafredda (Tarcento) »
Located within a short distance of the road which in ancient times went from Udine to Tarcento and Gemona, the castle of Villafredda was probably built over an earlier fortress dating from the end of...
Castello di Spessa di Capriva del Friuli »
The current architectural structure of Spessa di Capriva Castle was designed by the Triestine architect Ruggero Berlam, who, at the beginning of the 20th century, worked on an older building, working...
Castello di San Giusto (Trieste) »
The hill was originally occupied by a fortified prehistoric village, which later became an important Roman settlement; its ruins can still be visited today. The castle, built by the Venetians during the...
Castello di Spilimbergo »
The castle of Spilimbergo, whose original structures date back to the 10th/11th century, today appears as a cluster of stately residences arranged in a ring around a large central courtyard and is surrounded...
Fortezza di Osoppo »
Girolamo di Porcia described the castle in 1567: “ Osoppo Castle and Fortress, standing on a hilltop overlooking the River Tagliamento, at the foot of the mountains but too far from them to...
Castello di Udine »
“ Castrum Utini ” was first mentioned in 983, when it was donated by Emperor Otto II to Patriarch Rodoald. As early as the thirteenth century the castle was the ordinary residence of the patriarchs;...
Castello di Cassacco »
From analyses conducted on its brickwork, it is almost certain that the castle dates back to the Early Middle Ages. The first data gathered regarding the castle dates back to 1202 when a visit by Count...
Castello di Strassoldo di sopra (Cervignano del Fr.) »
According to tradition, Strassoldo was built at the time of the Saxon kings as a defense against the Hungarians. More probably, it was a Lombard fortification built to contrast the dangerous byzantine...
Castello di Duino »
The New Castle of Duino, a manor of Rilke's memory, in which the German poet wrote his Duinese Elegies, has been documented since 1363, the year in which the two forts were first mentioned: the Old...
Castello di Buttrio »
Buttrio Castle has been known since 1139 and it can be assumed that it was already built in the 11th century, given its strategic position. From the top of the Pampinutta hill it dominates the plains...
Castello di Strassoldo di sotto (Cervignano del Fr.) »
The Lower Castle at Strassoldo is accessed by a characteristic 17th century postern gate, leading to a smaller circle of wall. Beyond the wall there are farm buildings and the little chapel of San Marco,...
Castello di Prampero (Magnano in Riviera) »
In 1025, the Patriarch of Aquileia Popone, in support of the Holy Roman Empire's policy of peaceful expansion, which also in Friuli aimed at renewing the late antique agricultural and commercial splendour,...
Castello di Ragogna »
The hill on which stands the fortified complex of the upper castle with the ancient parish church of San Pietro has offered a natural, easily defensible shelter since ancient times. This hill, site...
Castello di Arcano (Rive d'Arcano) »
The castle from upper Arcano, originally built near the church of San Mauro along the banks of the River Corno, was erected upon the ruins of a Roman villa. It was later rebuilt in its present location,...
Castello di Villalta (Fagagna) »
On the ruins of a castelliere of remote times and a fortress of probable Roman origin, traces of which are still visible today, stands what is considered one of the most evocative castles in Friuli...
3 giugno 2023
"Concerti al Castello" primo fine settimana di giugno
Sabato 3 giugno con il “Multiverso di Cerino” al Castello di Muggia Domenica 4 giugno con “Pasiòn Andaluza” a Palazzo Lantieri di Gorizia
2 giugno 2023
Villafredda 2023, 11a festa di piante, di storie, di mostre
Venerdì 2 , sabato 3, domenica 4 giugno presso Borgo medievale di Villafredda di Tarcento
13 maggio 2023
Presentazione Ciclonugae: la ciclo-guida letteraria di Alberto Pavan
Sabato 13 maggio alle 17:00 nella Sala del Corpo di Guardia del Castello di Sotto, via dei Castelli 22. Sabato 13 maggio alle 17:00, la Sala del Corpo di Guardia del Castello di Sotto di Strassoldo diventa la cornice per la presentazione di Ciclonugae. Sui pedali tra le pagine del Friuli*, la ciclo-guida letteraria di *Alberto Pavan*.
5 maggio 2023
AFFRESCHI DI SCUOLA VITALESCA NELLE CHIESE DEI CUCAGNA
Le chiese dei castelli- Tavola rotonda venerdì 5 maggio 2023 - ore 17.00 presso Sala della Comunità Parrocchiale di Faedis
15 aprile 2023
Castelli Aperti 15-16 aprile 2023
Ritorna la manifestazione "Castelli Aperti" nella sua edizione primaverile che quest'anno si terrà il 15 e il 16 aprile 2023. Scarica il depliant dell'evento.