Housed on the ground and mezzanine floor of the Castle, the Museum contains a large collection of archaeological finds, part of which donated by private collectors. The donation of Francesco di Toppo (1883) is especially valuable, including precious Roman remains from Aquileia. The remains, ceramics and ambers excavated from local necropolises, comprise a beautiful sculpture of pears, pomegranates and dates resting on a vine leaf: a piece of superb craftsmanship, using the natural translucence of resin to its full advantage. Another donation, from Augusto de Brandis, includes magnificent Greek vases from Southern Italy.
The archaeological collection also includes a large number of objects, mostly locally-produced or imported ceramics, excavated in the Udine area since the 1980s; other sections contain two reconstructed Lombard tombs and a collection of epigraphs and sculptures.The Cigoi collection, also housed inside the Museum, comprises seals from local noble families, public figures and confraternities; there is also a collection of 20th-century medals and a display of items of personal and devotional jewellery. Of particular value are a 15th-century ivory, wood and horn jewellery casket from the Embriachi workshop in Venice, and a 16th-century rock crystal sculpture representing The Adoration of the Kings.
Museo archeologicoPiazzale del Castello
33100 Udine (UD)